Berna Bayram was a visiting student at the UofA in Fall 2019 and attended quite a few of our cooking classes. Towards the end of the semester, she graciously offered to lead some classes, teaching others to make some her favourite recipes from back home. […]
This recipe, adapted from Blud Flame Kitchen by our previous volunteer Madison is one of our favourites, especially if you’re hosting dinner or having to attend a potluck. If you live alone consider halving the recipe or making the full amount and refrigerating the filling. […]
Let us know in the comments if you tried this recipe or have any feedback for us 🙂
A easy to make chocolate cake recipe that is great at pot lucks (since there's no butter or eggs) and can easily be made vegan.
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup raw sugar (brown cane sugar)
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 zucchini
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup of (vegan or regular) dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Spray baking pan with cake release or line cake pan with parchment paper and rub butter onto both sides of the parchment paper so cake doesn’t stick.
- In a large bowl, stir the dry ingredients together (flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt).
- In a separate bowl peel zucchini and cut into small cubes.
- Then place it in a food processor/blender/hand blender and puree it as much as you can.
- Add in the oil and vanilla extract and puree until smooth.
- Pour wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until a thick batter forms.
- Stir in chocolate chips
- Bake for 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool on hot pad for at least 15 minutes before cutting or flipping cake onto a cake cooling rack.
Tips: Puree means a smooth, creamy substance made of liquidized or crushed fruit or vegetables. Video on peeling and pureeing zuchini: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3YA3EcttjA .
Appliances/utensils needed: Parchment paper, butter/cake release, Cake pan, wooden spoon, toothpicks, 2 big bowls, Cutting board, knife and peeler, Measuring cups and spoons, Blender or food processor, Oven, oven mitts, hot pad .
Recipe by: Juanita Gnanapragasam